First of all, we need to familiarise personally with self esteem. Self esteem is somewhat related to self confidence. A Self esteemed women is someone who is self dependent, she doesn’t require assistance from others to do her job. She is self confident, which means that she is aware of her skills and abilities. She knows her weaknesses but that’s ok because she knows that she is not perfect and doesn’t have to be. No one is perfect. Self esteem is one’s ability to feel joyful and proud. A woman who has low self esteem has trouble blending in with the rest of the people. A woman’s self esteem affects her life entirely, whether it’s her relationship or job. She starts loosing control over her life. But that can be changed through emotional healing.
Also, check out my previous post about activism and climate change.
Characteristics of women with low self esteem:
- They always criticise themselves for no significant reason.
- There either unaware of their potential or ignoring it.
- They have a mind set that they are inferior to others.
- They describe themselves with negative words like fat, stupid, lazy, useless, incompetent, etc. Which is absolutely wrong.
- They try to assume that luck plays a role in their achievements rather than their abilities.
Adverse effects of having low self esteem:
- Having constant negative feelings like sadness, anxiety, shame, guilt, anger, etc.
- Having relationship problems with friends and family.
- The person doubts their abilities and tries to avoid certain challenges or hurdles in life.
- Women with low self esteem discover it hard to socialize with people and get easily stressed out.
- Lack of self-care leading to harmful practices like addiction, eating disorder, suicide, etc.
Causes of low self esteem in women:
- Having a rough childhood where people close to you showed criticism.
- Poor academic performance or lack of ability to work.
- Relationship problems with friends and family.
- Financial troubles.
- Medical problems like disability, chronic pain, mental illness which includes depression, anxiety, etc.
Ways to improve self esteem:
- Know yourself. Know which things you like. Know your strengths and abilities.
- Care for yourself. Try to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Take part in extra-curricular activities like sports, games, social gatherings, etc.
- Keep your loved ones close. If your relationship isn’t working, try to fix it and avoid those mistakes which led to this situation.
- Having positive thoughts about yourself plays a significant role in building self esteem. Treat yourself like you would a best friend. Respect yourself, know that you have the strength and ability to shape your life in the way you want.
- Do not compare yourself with others. Know that everyone is diverse in their own way. Try to accept yourself as you are because when you truly believe in yourself you begin to understand the importance of your existence.
- Acknowledge the positive by trying not to ignore the compliments you receive. Do not think that your accomplishments are through dumb luck .
- Let bygones be bygones. Forget what happened in the past, give importance to your present and know that you can always achieve better results than before.
- Seek out help from others like close friends or loved ones about your present situation.
- Read books or watch motivational videos about personal development.
- Talk to a professionals like therapist and doctors for information and advice. It’s never a shame to admit that you need help.
- Stop worrying about the future and try to have fun. Regularly exercise to improve your mental and physical health.
Important things to remember:
Self-esteem is your own opinion about yourself. No one can change that except you. Always be optimistic and know that everything is going to be alright. Learn from your mistakes and keep discovering the amazing abilities that you have inside you. It takes practice and attention to boost your self esteem.