Activism is defined as putting efforts in vigorous campaigning to bring about political or social change. If you feel actively about a certain subject which needs to be changed or if you put efforts to stand by a certain cause, then you are an activist. Now what is activism through social media? Well, the most important aspect of being an activist is that the cause that you are fighting for needs mass awareness to be able to succeed. If more than half of the globe people uses social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Snapchat, Tik Tok, etc, it becomes a perfect stage for you to spread your message around the world. So activism through social media can have a relatively higher rate of success as compared to activism without the use of social networks.
There are countless examples of activism succeeding with the help of social media and most of them being a global movement. Some important examples are the black lives matter movement, pride marches, climate change movements, political movements in USA, etc. According to a rough valuation, more than half American citizens have participated in some form of activities by means of social media platforms.
Speaking of social media activism, here is an example of movement which observed global attention.
Black lives matter: The #BlackLivesMatter is a campaign against violence and racism towards African American citizens. One of the greatest modern cases of this was of George Floyd who was chocked to death by a white police man. A video of this action was recorded and soon the news spread like wildfire across the world. Every news channel, blog websites, social media platform got wind of it. The hashtag #BlackLivesMatter was being used all across the world. Millions of people all around the world took to the streets for the cause of bringing justice to George Floyd. The streets of USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand and many other countries were flooded with rallies and marches.
Advantages of using social media platforms for activism:
- Spreading mass awareness becomes fairly easy. There are a lot of social media influencers who have millions of followers throughout the globe. Whenever they share a post or story about something, every follower can see it.
- It is cost effective. Organising rallies can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, while social media is free if you have internet. You only have to share or like the post in order to support your cause.
- There is no need for physical participation. Even a disabled person can join the cause while sitting at home.
- Donations can be collected easily through online payment methods.
Disadvantages of social media activism:
- The people who show interest in the cause online often fail to take offline action.
- Some people just share the stories for fun and are not serious about the cause.
Needless to say that social media can be a very powerful tool in the right hands. There are many people who prefer to see news on social media platforms rather than news channels, mainly because it is uncensored, somewhat accurate and easily accessible to everyone. So if you are someone who desires to spread a message towards the community, try spreading it through social media. You could get the attention of a large number of audience in not a lot of time, given that your message is genuinely good.